Judge Declares Mistrial in Murder Trial of Cop Who Killed Walter Scott #MustSee
The judge overseeing the murder trial of Michael Slager—a former South Carolina police officer, who fatally shot Walter Lamar Scott in the back last year—declared a mistrial on Monday, after jurors failed to reach a verdict in the case.
“Despite the best efforts of our members we are unable to come to a unanimous decision,” jurors said in the note Monday afternoon after three days of deliberations, reports NBC News. The jury was compromised of 11 white people and one black man.
“The court, therefore, must declare a mistrial in this case, and I so declare that this case is mistried,” announced Circuit Judge Clifton Newman.
Slager was charged with murder for killing Scott, a 50-year-old, unarmed black man, following a routine traffic stop in North Charleston, S.C., in April 2015. After being pulled over, Scott jumped out of his vehicle and fled the scene. Video taken by a bystander shows Scott was running away from Slager through an open field, when the former patrolman opened fire, shooting him five times in the back. Immediately after the shooting, Slager said that Scott tried to take his stun gun, however, video proved that was not true.
Slager, who was fired from his position, claimed that he feared for his life.
If Charleston County prosecutors decide not to seek a retrial, then it is possible that the 35-year-old white ex-cop could possibly go free. In the meantime, he expected to remain free on bail. Slager will also face civil rights charges in a federal trial slated for early 2017.
from Black Enterprise http://ift.tt/2h000h0
via FWG
from Creative Experience Lab
Post a Comment